Youth Career Awareness Program
Dunwoody College of Technology’s Youth Career Awareness Program (YCAP) started in 1988. Since then, YCAP has assisted more than 1,300 students.
YCAP’s Mission is to:
- Enhance the career opportunities of under-represented youth.
- Empower high school juniors and seniors to graduate from high school.
- Encourage students to earn a degree from Dunwoody.
- In addition to YCAP’s mission, its goals are to provide more females and students of color who come from a disadvantaged background the opportunity to attend college.
Scholarship benefits include:
- A scholarship of up to $10,000/year for two years
- $500 per semester to assist with books and technology fees
- Mentorship and monthly workshop trainings, including personal finance, time management, and job interviewing skills.
The YCAP Experience
About the Scholarship Program
To be eligible for this program, students must:
- Be in good academic standing at their schools (2.5 G.P.A or higher)
- Be driven to succeed
- Be interested in a technical career
- Be currently in 11th or 12th grade or have recently graduated
- Have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Be available to attend the six-week Summer Camp from June 11, 2018, through July 20, 2018.
- Have a strong financial need
YCAP is a two-part scholarship.
The first part of the scholarship is a six-week summer camp that helps prepare high school juniors and seniors for college. During the camp you will:
- Explore career opportunities available through the technical programs offered at Dunwoody
- Take college-readiness courses
- Go on field trips to places like the Walker Arts Center, the Wabasha Caves, and the St. Paul Cathedral
- Visit job sites and talk to industry partners about what everyday life is like on their job
- Receive a $100 weekly stipend, free bus pass, and free lunch for the duration of the camp
If you find a career path that interests you during camp, you’ll have the opportunity to attend Dunwoody after high school graduation.
- If interested in learning more about YCAP, you may complete the “Request More Information” form below. The YCAP Program Manager will follow up with all interested individuals to discuss the program.
- You must also complete the Youth Career Awareness Program Scholarship Application. There are two ways you may do this:
- You can print the PDF and fill out the application by hand.
- You can save the PDF to your computer and complete the application by typing in the highlighted boxes. Once complete, save the application once more and print or attach it in an email.
- Mail or email the completed application, along with all required application materials, to:
YCAP Program Manager
Dunwoody College of Technology
818 Dunwoody Blvd.
Minneapolis, MN 55403
Your application, high school transcript, FAFSA application, and phone interview must be submitted and/or completed no later than May 1, 2018.
You will be notified in May 2018 on whether or not you have been accepted into Dunwoody’s Summer Camp–the first part of the scholarship process.
If selected as a recipient, you will receive up to a $10,000 scholarship award per year in financial aid assistance. Awards are renewable up to two years or until a degree is earned, whichever occurs first, as long as you maintain scholarship eligibility.