Program Placement Rate:
Source 2021-22 Dunwoody Career Services Annual Report
HVAC Installation & Residential Service
Prepare for a career in the HVAC installation industry—working in a wide array of fields, including residential, commercial, and industrial—with a degree in HVAC Installation & Residential Service.
Job Inquiries Per Graduate
Source 2019-20 Dunwoody Career Services Annual Report
Class topics include:
- HVAC Ducts & Fittings
- Cooling Systems
- Heating Systems
- Residential HVAC Design
- Residential HVAC Installation
- Commercial Blueprint Reading
To view program requirements, including required courses, electives, course descriptions, and credit hours, visit:
Recent Employers of Graduates
Companies that hire our graduates include:
- Centraire Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc.
- B&D Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning
- Honeywell International, Inc.
- Standard Heating & Air Conditioning
- Local Union 10
- Midland Heating & Air
Common Job Titles
Possible job titles upon graduation include:
- HVAC Installation Technician
- HVAC Service Technician
- Sheet Metal Fabricator
- Residential Systems Designer
Opportunities to get involved outside of the classroom include:
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society (PTK)
Sheet Metal Lab
Learn how to develop, fabricate, and install ducts and fittings.
- Zone system for creating wiring mock ups and three installation trainers for hooking sheet metal, A-coils, venting, gas piping, and electrical to furnaces
- Shears, punches, lockformers, edgers, folders and formers for cutting, forming and finishing ductwork and fittings
- 5 hand-operated sheet metal bending machines
- 3 solder stations and 2 spot welders
Residential Heating & Air Conditioning Lab
Learn about the various types of furnaces and air conditioners used to heat and cool residential buildings.
- 6 high efficiency condensed force air furnaces and 14 mid-efficiency force air furnaces, all using diverse ignition systems
- 6 low efficiency furnaces using standing pilot and electronic ignition systems
- 6 oil-burning, high pressure gun furnaces that use primary control/cad cell ignition
- 3 electric forced air furnaces; 2 have PC board control; 1 uses sequencers
- 6 mid-to-high efficiency central air conditioners and 10 low-to-mid efficiency central air conditioners
- 5 air-to-air heat pumps using all fuel kits to interface with fossil fuel furnaces
- 1 air handler hooked up with supply ductwork
Learn the fundamentals of the types of motors used in the HVAC field.
- 10 various permanent split capacitor 120 and 240 volt motors
- 10 various split phase 120 and 240 volt motors
- 8 various capacitor start 120 and 240 volt motors
- 10 various shade pole-style 120 and 240 volt motors
Electrical/Thermal Science Lab
Learn the basics of electrical and thermal science.
- Breadboards for electrical experiments and controls
- Equipment for BTU transfer, gain, and loss experiments
- A diverse array of air balancing testers and tools