Opening Ceremony at Dunwoody will feature Lieutenant Governor Peggy Flanagan
Dunwoody College of Technology is once again proud to be a part of Women in Construction Week, presented by the National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC) Minnesota.
Held March 1-7, 2020, the week-long celebration provides an opportunity to share appreciation, celebrate diversity, and facilitate connections in industry. Events include discussion panels featuring women in industry, networking and mentoring opportunities, professional development sessions, and hand-on volunteer projects.
This year’s Women in Construction Week will kick-off here at Dunwoody with an Opening Ceremony featuring Minnesota’s Lieutenant Governor Peggy Flanagan on Monday, March 2. The Lieutenant Governor will present an official proclamation at 8:45 a.m. declaring Women in Construction Week here in Minnesota.
“Connecting Girls to Construction: A panel discussion with the Girl Scouts” will take place before the proclamation presentation at 8 a.m. and feature current students, young and established professionals along with members of the Girl Scouts River Valleys who are interested in pursuing careers in architecture, engineering, or construction. Come here how their drive to change the world will help mold the future of the industry.
Co-hosted by Veit & Company, Girl Scouts River Valleys, and NAWIC Minnesota, the Girl Scouts will also share their experiences with the Power Girls summer construction camp.
Later in the week, Dunwoody will hold another panel discussion here on campus. Hosted by WINECA-TC, “Conversations in Construction: A Woman’s Perspective,” the event will be held from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, March 4.
Program Manager and Master Electrician Polly Friendshuh will join the interactive panel discussion as they discuss trending topics in the construction industry from a woman’s perspective.
All events are free, but space is limited. Online registration is available at www.eventbrite.com by searching “MN WIC Week 2020.”
Other WIC events include (event details can be found on eventbright.com):
- Women in Construction: Leading the Way | Hosted by Kraus-Anderson| March 2, 3-5 p.m.
- Habitat for Humanity Women Build | Hosted by Road Machinery & Supplies Co., Brin Glass, and its Subsidiaries, and Peterson Companies, Inc. | March 3, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- AWP/MEWP New Safety Standards | Hosted by Sunbelt Rentals | March 4, 2-3:30 p.m.
- Speed Mentoring | Hosted by APi Group | March 5, 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- How to Build a Successful Mentoring Relationship | Hosted by McGough and Sunbelt Rentals | March 5, 3:30-6 p.m.
- Coffee and Donuts with the Protectors of the Underground Universe | Hosted by USIC | March 6, 9-11 a.m.
- NAWIC WIC Closing Ceremonies | Hosted by Ryan Companies | March 6, 4-6 p.m.
- YWCA GIRLPOWER 2020 | Hosted by Construction Careers Foundation at Dunwoody | March 7, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.