A Q&A with Industrial Engineering Senior Instructor Andy Stevens
Hometown: Browerville, MN
College: St. Cloud State
Degrees: B.S. in Operations Management, Masters in Business Administration (Currently pursuing a M.S. in Manufacturing Engineering at UW-Stout)
Certifications: Professional Engineering Manager (PEM), Certified Manufacturing Engineer (CMfgE), Mini-Master in Lean Manufacturing
How long have you been working at Dunwoody?
I had the opportunity to start working at Dunwoody as an adjunct instructor spring 2017 semester and started as a full-time instructor in March. It feels like time has flown by, and I can’t believe we are almost the end of the semester.
Why did you decide to work at Dunwoody?
Dunwoody is one of the best-kept secrets in the Twin Cities, and I’ve admired Dunwoody for years as a hands-on, high-tech college. I’ve always wanted to get into teaching and when the opportunity presented itself, I went for it! I’m grateful for the opportunity.
What do you enjoy most about your job?
Interacting with students is extremely enjoyable! Whether that is in the classroom during a lecture and discussion or outside the classroom answering questions and giving guidance. In second, I would say it is the constant learning and reinforcing the depth of industrial engineering knowledge.
What are a few of your hobbies?
I love making “stuff”. I guess that’s why I have a passion for manufacturing in general! Some of the things I make are homemade beer/wine, soap, canning all kinds of things out of the garden, and many other homemade products. I also enjoy gardening, being outdoors, and marksmanship.
What is the best concert you’ve ever been to?
1998 – The George Strait Country Music festival at the Metrodome or The Zelda Orchestra at the Orpheum just a few years ago.
What is the one thing in the world you are most proud of?
Beyond a doubt the one thing I am most proud of is being married to my wife, Heidi. We have been together for almost seven years and along the way she has supported whatever “crazy idea” I get; from quitting a job and starting my own consulting business, coming up with some new hobby that turns the house upside down, or anything in between. She is 100% supportive of my endeavors regardless of how big or crazy the idea may seem.
- In high school I worked at a horse ranch as a wrangler year-round. Growing up, I also raised huskies for dogsledding and actually participated in races!
- I’ve spent about 15 years in industry, ranging in titles as a Manufacturing Engineering Manager, Industrial Engineer, CI Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Project Manager, and others.
- When I was a consultant project manager, I traveled all over the United States and was able to see LOTS of different manufacturing companies. From making egg patties in New Jersey, to truck transmission castings in Kentucky, to air conditioners in Louisiana, or the best smelling facility I have ever been in: a microwave bacon company in northern Iowa!
- I started my own consulting business and keep it going on the side to this day. I focus on helping companies with operations management and industrial engineering problems/opportunities.
- I’m PUMPED to be an instructor at Dunwoody!