Design+Construction Conference 2021
Dunwoody College of Technology is committed to advancing current and future professions in the Construction Sciences and Building Technology industry. The 2021 PIVOT: Our New Tomorrow Conference will bring together industry leaders, educators, and future professionals for an all-day, virtual conference, exploring current trends and the future reality of the construction industry and design professions.
Sessions will include:
- The changing landscape of the Design and Construction industries
- New technologies
- Professional development opportunities/strategies
Tuesday, February 2, 2021 | 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Welcome & Keynote Speakers | 8-8:25 a.m.
- Mini Sessions 1 | 8:30-8:55 a.m.
- Breakout Sessions A | 9-9:45 a.m.
- Breakout Sessions B | 10-10:45 a.m.
- Mini Sessions 2 (or virtual lunch) | 11-11:30 a.m.
- Mini Sessions 3 (or virtual lunch) | 11:30 a.m. – noon
- Career Fair & Expo | noon-2 p.m.
Note: To access the link for each session, click on the session title just before the listed time the session begins. You can view the sessions with either the desktop or mobile MS Teams app or in an internet browse such as Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge.
8-8:25 a.m. – Keynote Speakers:
Construction: The Next Generation | Yolanda McIntosh | Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion | Associated General Contractors of Minnesota
About Yolanda McIntosh:
Yolanda McIntosh is the Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) for the Associated General Contractors of Minnesota; the state’s largest and longest-established commercial construction trade association. McIntosh is responsible for leading efforts in building more intentional and inclusive initiatives to assist member contractors in establishing equity in business cultures and providing greater opportunity for diverse populations in the commercial construction industry.
McIntosh possess a wealth of industry experience with an advanced education and employment history in the public sector and most recently with a large commercial road and bridge contractor. McIntosh has been a leading voice for more diversity and inclusion throughout the trades, in the Twin Cities, and was selected as a finalist for Finance & Commerce Top Women In Construction 2020 for her Outstanding Service to the Profession.
Design Focus | Karen Lu, AIA, NOMA | Snow Kreilich Architects
About Karen Lu:
Karen Lu’s commitment to design excellence and to positively impacting future generations of architecture professionals and global citizens is evident in her professional work and service to the AIA and her community. She has led and collaborated on projects that have won National AIA Honor Awards, AIA/COTE Top Ten Green Project Awards, AIA Minnesota Honor Awards, and Progressive Architecture Awards. Lu has been recognized for her leadership both locally and nationally with the AIA Minnesota and National AIA Young Architect Awards.
Lu is the AIA Minnesota Immediate Past President and a board adviser for MSP NOMA, the local National Organization for Minority Architects (NOMA) chapter. She has served as board secretary of MSP NOMA, as well as co-chair of the AIA MN Committee on Design and the AIA MN Leadership Forum Advisory Committee. Lu is also actively involved at Dunwoody College where she serves on the architecture program’s Professional Advisory Committee, and Yinghua Academy, a K-8 Chinese immersion school, where she served as board chair for three years.
8:30-8:55 a.m. – Mini Sessions 1:
- Showcasing Your Portfolio Online | Beata Fleischmann, Adjunct Instructor, Dunwoody College
- Virtual Interviewing | Megan Tragiai, Talent Acquisition Specialist, Hunt Electric
- A Day in the Life of … | Seth Eckert SURV ’07 | Survey Team Leader, IMO Consulting Group
- Relocating for a Job | Greg Crook, Vice President of HR and Workforce Strategies, Guarantee Electric
- Fabric Structures | Bruce Wright FAIA, Senior Instructor, Dunwoody College
9-9:45 a.m. – Breakout Sessions A:
- Electrical Construction & Maintenance Alumni Panel:
- Melinda Lorentz, ’19 ELEC | Apprentice Electrician, Air Mechanical Inc.
- Brynn Pavlica, ’19 ELEC | Maintenance Electrician, Japs-Olson Company
- Gabriella Brune, ’19 ELEC | Olympia Tech, 292 Apprentice Electrician
- Power Limited Technology | Robbie Danko Business Development Director, The Boldt Company
- Renewable Energy – Electrical Construction in Renewable Energy | AJ Odenthal, Electrical Engineer, Michael Ojika, Electrical Engineer, Peter Rogers, Construction Services Manager and Robert Wyly, Principal Electrical Engineer with Xcel Energy
- What is the Electrical Union? | Derrick Atkins, ’96 ELEC | Training Director, Minneapolis JATC
- A Day in the Life of… | Andrew Schmitz ’18 ECDM, Associate Project Manager | Parsons Electric
- The Wonderful World of Prefab | Bryan Kroening, ’04 ECDM | Manager Constructability Services, Guarantee Electrical Company
- Greiner Construction Panel | Stacy Glovka, Senior Project Manager; Cliff Schafer, Chief Estimator; Phil Muhonen, Superintendent
- Ames Construction Panel | Justin Englund, Project Manager and VDC Expert | Nick McCoy, Project Engineer
- The IDS Building: A Day in the life of…| Damon Monthei, Chief Engineer, Accesso Services
- Children’s Hospital: A Case Study in Digital Scanning: The Next Generation of Value for the Built Environment | Chuck Bonn, Director of Facilities, Children’s Hospital Minnesota and Charlie Holt, Digital Asset Management Specialist, Better Building Data
- Self-Advocacy as an Emerging Professional | Claire L. Lonsbury, AIA, WELL AP, Project Architect | Senior Associate, DLR Group
- The Story of the Design & Construction of the Canopy Mill District by Hilton located in the historic Thresher Emerson Newton Building | Mollie O’Connor, AIA, LEED AP, Senior Architect | Senior Associate, DLR Group
- Blurred Spaces 2.0 | Jeni Robb, IIDA | A&D Specialist | Formica
- A Case Study: La Cantera Resort & Spa | Twee Andersen, ’20 IDSN Interior Designer, DLR Group | Danielle Farchmin | Senior Interior Designer, DLR Group
- Interior Design Panel 1
- Amy Behrendsen, Commercial Sales Representative, Rubble Tile
- Jennie Arnett, Project Manager, RSP Architects
- Ikaria Becker ’19 IDSN, Sales Associate, Henricksen
10-10:45 a.m. – Breakout Sessions B:
- 2020 National Electrical Code Changes | Mark Hunter, Electrical Area Representative, Minnesota Department Of Labor & Industry
- Electrical Maintenance | Ryan Naimola, Global Engineering Lab Manager and Scott Sanville ’07 ELEC | Controls & Instrumentation Electrician with Eaton
- Emerging Technology – Internet of Things | Craig Truempi , AI and IIoT Business Leader, ATEK Companies
- Journey from Apprentice to Owner | Laura Karow, President, Gunner Electric
- A Glimpse into Merit Shop Contracting | Mike Miller, Director of Education and Michelle Dreier, Membership Engagement and Government Affairs Manager with Electrical Association
- Introduction to BIM Design | Dan Ford ’08 ECDM, Systems Development Specialist & Sam Ward ’20 ECDM, Electrical Designer | Egan Company
- Mortenson Alumni Panel:
- Brennetta Harris, ’12 ARCH and ’16 CMGT | Estimator II
- Brandon Bomar, ’11 ARCH and ’14 CLMA | Design Phase Engineer II
- Joe Ngaima, ’08 ARCH and ’14 CMGT | Senior Estimator II
- Chris Starwood, ’17 PMGT | Estimator
- The World of Commercial Building Automation | Andrew Disher, ’11 HEAT | National Controls Business Development, Trane Controls
- What Does It Take to Reuse a Building?: Historic Preservation and the Dayton’s Project | Meghan Elliott, P.E. Associate AIA | Founding Principal | New History
- Milwaukee International Arrivals Concourse (MKE) – Building Design and Solar Sunshade Study | Ernesto Ruiz-Garcia, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, Principal & Beth Evanson Makhoul, AIA, Associate | Alliiance
- Home and Cabin Architecture; The SALA Process | Sarah Gastler, Associate Designer, BS Environmental Studies/Sustainable Design, Green Mountain College, M/Arch University of Minnesota and Dale Mulfinger FAIA, Principal Emeritus, B/Arch University of Minnesota, Founded SALA in 1983, started his professional career as an Urban Designer, but now known as the Cabinologist
- Architecture Alumni Panel
- Celina Nelson ’15 ARCH and ’18 BARCH Project Designer, Collage Architects
- Alex Stanley ’18 BARCH Designer, Ryan Companies
- Why Out Is In – Designing for the Great Outdoors | Lynne Mitchell, Principal |Architecture + Design Elements
- Thriving Outside the Box | Mari Ansera | Senior Interior Designer, Senior Associate, HGA
- Interior Design Panel 2
- Mark Ostrom, Executive Director, Joy Collaborative
- Lisa Olson, Project Manager | Environments for Aging Specialist, RSP Architects
- Sam Doncits ’20 IDSN | Interior Designer, Ryan Companies US, Inc.
- Lexie Sosalla, Interior Designer II, NELSON Worldwide
11-11:30 a.m. – Mini Sessions 2 (or virtual lunch):
- Social Media Presence | Abby Ferri, Safety & Risk Management consultant, podcaster, author
- How Watching Cooking Shows Made me a Better Virtual Communicator in Business | Jisell Howe ’10 ARCH and ’12 AMGT | Senior BPM Platform Integration Manager | ENGworks
- 45 Sheets of Paper—How Dunwoody Came to Be | Dawn Fish, Institutional Advancement | Dunwoody College
- Trending 2021 Interviewing and Network Strategies | Kate Schoeder, Recruitment Coordinator, Landscape Structures
- Preparing for Panel Interviews | Marci Marrone, HR Representative, Collins Electric
- The Challenges of Becoming a Woman Owned Business | Mai Chang, Owner, Presidential Electric
- George Floyd BIPOC Summer Cipher | Dunwoody National Organization of Minority Architecture Students (NOMAS) Presentation
- Virtual Lunchroom | Sponsored by JE Dunn – Meet other students!
11:30 a.m. – noon – Mini Sessions 3 (or virtual lunch):
- Mental Well-Being: Your Most Valuable Asset | Dr. Mark Zipper, Ph.D.
- Taking Awesome Pictures with Your Phone | Kathy Helgeson | Visual Content Marketing Specialist, Dunwoody College
- How to Get Your Resume Noticed and Land the Job You Want | Nikki Hauck, PHR | Director, Human Resources | Weis Builders, Inc
- A Day in the Life of … | Carlos Acosta CMGT ’20 | Project Engineer, JE Dunn
- Stantec Equity & Diversity Scholarship Information | Lana Bertsch | Director of CEO’s office
- A Day in the Life of … | Garrett Heller, Job Captain ARCH ’11 & Gianna Madison, Senior Technician ARCH ’05 and IDSN ’08 and BARCH ’18 | RSP Architects
- Careers in Preconstruction | Miccah Vainikka, Senior Preconstruction Manager, Knutson Construction
- Virtual Lunchroom | Sponsored by JE Dunn – Meet other students!
About the Career Fair (noon-2 p.m.)
This virtual event will connect employers with future professionals.
Employers will be able to:
- Speak to students across all majors in our Construction Sciences and Building Technology department. We will also invite Engineering students and Welders.
- Have unlimited company representatives participate.
- View any resume from a participating student, downloadable before, during, and after the fair.
- Be able to reach out to RSVP’d students ahead of time.
- Sponsorship opportunities are available and we’ll be seeking volunteers to help with a number of sessions ahead of the fair.
Students will be able to:
- Speak with employers representing various aspects of the industry you are entering. Network and learn more about their companies and your industry.
- View positions that companies are actively seeking to fill
- Share your resume across a broad number of industry representatives.
- Wait in up to 4 virtual queues at a time to maximize your time
Click here for more information and to register for the career fair.
Dunwoody College of Technology is the leading educational provider in the Design and Construction industries.
Thank you to our sponsors!